The Federal Government on Sunday said it had approved a five year special interventional program that would enable it accelerate the socio-economic development of states in the North-East Region.
The minister of state for finance, Dr Yerima Ngama disclosed this during a chat with journalists in Abuja.
President Goodluck Jonathan had in May in response to increasingly violent attacks by Islamic extremists, declared state of emergency in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa.
The move had paralyzed economic activities in the region and slowed down developmental projects being implemented in the affected states.
As a first step towards accelerating development in the region, the minister said the sum of N2bn had been set aside in the 2014 budget for the affected states.
The N2bn, he noted, would be used to alleviate the sufferings of people in the states.
This, according to him would be achieved by giving grants to poor women and youth for the acquisition of working equipments.
He said while the federal government is working hard to restore peace to the region, the intervention would help alleviate poverty among the people.
No comments:
Post a Comment