Friday 29 November 2013

I stopped my son from launching a hip-hop album –Funmi Aragbaye

Gospel musical artiste, Evangelist Funmi Aragbaye came into limelight in the 80s, she spoke with ADEOLA BALOGUN and BOSEDE OLUSOLA-OBASA on sundry issues

In your assessment, do we still have real gospel music?

Yes, we still do and we still have artistes that are singing unadulterated gospel music.

Are they the new or old generation?

People call us the old generation, but whether old or new, we still have those who are divinely called. They write gospel songs and present the music in a way that preaches the gospel of Jesus Christ. In my case, I have a calling that includes criticising the ills of our society. The lord has raised me up for a time like this in Nigeria. When I started over 25 years ago, my lyrics were on social problems. In 1983, God actually showed me a vision of the ills in the society and that was what inspired some songs then – ‘Olorun Igbala’ that was in the album that brought me into limelight. It is on the side two of that album that you have ‘Sioni o ilu ayo.’ The second album was also about Nigeria. There you have ‘Bawa tun aye wa se o.’ That was as far back as 1983. Things were still far better than they are right now. There was no Boko Haram then. I then sang ‘God save Nigeria.’

Aren’t you worried that the next generation does not consider these songs as contemporary?

The same problem in Nigeria has affected all aspects of the society, including the media. These days, if you record any nonsense and take it to the media house with your money in your hand, you get it aired. That was not what it used to be. In those days whenever I wanted to release an album, I would call a media preview conference. The album would be played out and participants would criticise and write based on their view points. We don’t have that anymore. Everything was based on merits those days, but that is no longer the case. Whenever Children’s Day was being marked, the broadcast media would play Funmi Aragbaye’s track: ‘Omo l’ayegbe aye’ but that is no longer the case. The song track was used to fix the right topic. Even on Sundays when radio stations should play Christian tunes, you hear ‘Papa to si be.’ Nobody seems to be doing anything about it, including the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria. They can’t be everywhere, but they are not doing their job.

Shouldn’t the gospel artistes association sift the wheat from the chaff?

There is nothing any association can do in terms of censoring any artiste. It is a free country. Even when you advise them on your own, they think you don’t want them to thrive. So everybody is doing what they like.

Is it true that the outward appearance of a gospel artiste doesn’t count?

Those are commercial musicians; that is what everybody wants to do now. The churches are not helping the issue. When you go to the churches, they just sing songs that say nothing, yet they will be so engrossed dancing to it. A gospel artiste should be moderate. He should be cultured in dressing and attitude. He must practise what he preaches.

Are you saying that you don’t follow the trend of danceable tunes?

You can sing danceable tunes but it must make meaning. It may be important for the youths but it must have a definite message.

What about the type of videos they call gospel today?Don’t you like them?

You are the public; the public is the best judge. There is little that we can do to condemn the act, they will think that you have succeeded and you don’t want them to succeed.

So how did you start?

I started in the 80s when God said I should start. For some years, I ignored the call because I couldn’t come to terms with going on television to sing. But God said that I would take the gospel through songs all over the world. That time, I was working at the ministry of commerce and industry after I left the media house as a commercial representative. I worked at government press, Ilorin and when Herald was established in 1973, I was one of the foundation members under the late Chief Ebenezer Williams, late Chief Peter Ajayi and Chief Segun Osoba. I left Ilorin in 1975 when I wanted to get married because my husband-to-be then was the features editor of the Sketch. I had to move to Sketch. I gave my life to Christ in Ilorin and I got the inspiration into singing and song writing through the ECWA Church (Igbaja Singers.)

Was it rough when you started?

Oh no, it wasn’t rough for me. I consider myself to be the luckiest among all my contemporaries. I was lucky because my first album became an instant hit. I was accepted from day one. I introduced choreography into gospel music with the track ‘Mo duro le Christ Apata’ that is on side two of ‘Mo gbo ipe Olorunmi.’

What happened; for so long, you were not being heard, did you go under?

Why will I go under for God’s sake? That must be the time I had a lot of trips to undertake. There was a particular trip that I toured 18 states in America. That affected the schedule. Again, there was a time that the gospel music industry became messed up. There were no good marketers, producers and so on, even till now.

Was there a time you were tempted to drop your genre of music to flow with the trend?

If you monitor me from the beginning, you can tell if I have changed. That question should go to those who are now bleaching their skin.

If you travel so much, what happens to the home front?

It is not that I stay put wherever I went. I keep going for few days and returning back.

You seemed to have taken to more of stage performance

Yes because no artiste produces like before anymore. It is unfortunate that what one puts into production doesn’t come back. My last video which was aired on African Magic for one year cost me about N5m. One quarter of the money is yet to come back; but I keep doing it because it is my calling. For those who can’t cope financially, they had to take a break. When we first started, we released albums every three months, later it became every six months and then every year. But as it stands today, no artiste produces yearly again because the selling price is not commensurate with what you used to produce it. Even if you sell a CD for N1,000, you can’t recoup the cost of production, not to talk of selling it at N50. Those of us who are still doing it see it as a job that must be done, our calling – the gospel must be preached.

Was your husband equally committed when you gave your life to Christ?

Elder Bola Aragbaye is one of the senior journalists in Nigeria. He has put in 40 years into journalism. He went from Observer to Tribune and then to Sketch, from there he became Chief Press Secretary to the Ondo State Governor and thereafter he returned to Sketch as editor. He is a born again Christian; an unassuming and humble man. He is an introvert.

Hasn’t your stardom affected your relationship with him?

I have been extremely lucky. I have an understanding husband. When I was going to start this ministry, I already had all my children. My last born is 29 years plus and he is doing his PhD in Mass Communication in England. So that is why you didn’t hear that I gave birth since I started. I was extremely lucky.

Artistes generally have scandals tied to their names, what is yours?

I thank my God that I have none to my name, Have you heard any?

You said that your vision includes criticising societal ills, why haven’t you spoken up on issues about this government?

I don’t have to be personal. If I have things to say, I will say it. The problem of leadership has affected every one.

How well are you getting along with Evangelist Bola Are?

We are colleagues and we married from the same part of Nigeria – Owo.

Is there any of your children in this line?

Some of them do play instruments. In fact, one of them was my keyboardist for 12 years. He tried to produce a hip-hop album which I disagreed with for some reasons. As my son, I should have input into whatever he wants to roll out under the Aragbaye name. It took years to build it and I started on a high standard. If you still listen to my first production, it will still bless you. I told him that even if it must be hip-hop, it must be up to standard. I don’t believe that my children must go into the same line except they have the call of God to do so. Some people do force their children to do so. I hate to do that. It is either he has the talent or he learns it, I didn’t learn music.

What is the meaning of the name Aragbaye?

Aragbaye, it is my husband’s name. Do you know it has never crossed my mind to ask him? I have to ask him when I get home. Unfortunately, my father-in-law is no more and my mother-in-law died two months ago. I think the name connotes style.

Copyright PUNCH.

No comments:

Post a Comment