Tuesday 30 April 2013

Danish scientists on the brink of HIV cure






Danish scientists are expecting results that will show that 'finding a mass-distributable and affordable cure to HIV is possible'.

They are conducting clinical trials to test a 'novel strategy' in which the HIV virus is stripped from human DNA and destroyed permanently by the immune system.

The move would represent a dramatic step forward in the attempt to find a cure for the virus, which causes AIDS.

Telegraph.co.uk reports that the scientists are currently conducting human trials on their treatment, in the hope of proving that it is effective. It has already been found to work in laboratory tests.

The technique involves releasing the HIV virus from 'reservoirs' it forms inside DNA, bringing it to the surface of the cells. Once it comes to the surface, the body's natural immune system can kill the virus through being boosted by a 'vaccine'.

In vitro studies -- those that use human cells in a laboratory -- of the new technique proved so successful that in January, the Danish Research Council awarded the team 12 million Danish kroner (£1.5m) to pursue their findings in clinical trials with human subjects.

These are now under way, and according to Dr Ole Søgaard, a senior researcher at the Aarhus University Hospital in Denmark and part of the research team, the early signs are 'promising'.

"I am almost certain that we will be successful in releasing the reservoirs of HIV," he said.

"The challenge will be getting the patients' immune system to recognise the virus and destroy it. This depends on the strength and sensitivity of individual immune systems."

Fifteen patients are currently taking part in the trials, and if any of them are found to have successfully been cured of HIV, the 'cure' will be tested on a wider scale, aided by an immune system booster.

Søgaard stressed that a cure is not the same as a preventative vaccine, and that raising awareness of unsafe behaviour, including unprotected sex and sharing needles, remains of paramount importance in combating HIV.

With modern HIV treatment, a patient can live an almost normal life, even into old age, with limited side effects.

However, if medication is stopped, HIV reservoirs become active and start to produce more of the virus, meaning that symptoms can reappear within two weeks.



Punch

1 comment:

  1. Am here to testify for the good deeds DR. momodu did for me. I was a HIV patient until I met DR. momodu who cured my disease, I was bothered, I don’t want to leave my loved ones behind, I don’t want to die, that was my thought day and night, I was told about him (DR. momodu) by a friend of mine, he gave me his email address, which is dr.momoduherbalcure@gmail.com, and dr.momoduherbalcure@gmail.com . I emailed him and told him my problems, he helped me by sending a direct cure to me, here am I today free from that bondage, I’m healed, you can contact him via email too on: dr.momoduherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete