Sunday 30 March 2014

How I met the IG –Zahra Bunu-Abubakar

Zahra Bunu-Abubakar is the youngest President of the Police Officers’ Wives Association. With a first degree in Civil Engineering from the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, and a Master’s in Construction Engineering, University of Loughborough, United Kingdom, she is the external relations manager of an oil and gas company. Born of a father, who is an architect, she is married to the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Dikko Abubakar. Their talk-of-the-town wedding held in September 2013. She discusses her life, childhood, dreams and role as the IG’s wife

Did you ever envisage that you would be married to a police officer?

No, I did not. To be honest with you, my impression of the police before I eventually got married was completely different from what I later found out. The stereotype policeman is in uniform on the road. But I did not realise that there are officers working at the background. After my marriage, I met a few of them from the police headquarters and I was impressed. Policemen are people who are different, intelligent and dedicated to their work.

Were those the qualities that attracted you to your husband?

We actually met at a mutual friend’s house. The first time I met him, I did not know who he was. He looks different in uniform compared to when he is in mufti. He was not in uniform when I met him and we had a conversation. He was a good conversationalist and I discovered he is quite humble too. I even asked him what he did for a living and he told me he is a civil servant— a labourer. I started laughing. Till I walked out of that place, I knew his name but I did not know who he was. We talked and exchanged numbers.

What were your ambitions as a child?

When I was in secondary school, I actually wanted to join the Army. I attended Air Force Girls School. But at that point in time, they did not have Nigerian Defence Academy  for women. Maybe now that I am married to a policeman, the dream has been partially fulfilled.

As a child, who were your real life heroes?

My parents are my heroes. My father is really hard-working and he is from a very humble background. He achieved so much for himself and I like what my mother built in us. In most homes, both parents contribute to the upbringing of children, but most responsibility lies on mothers. As I grew older and met people, I saw how some kids were brought up and I appreciated my mother a lot more. It is something I will be able to replicate in my children.

As an adult, what do you think you would have done differently as a child?

I don’t think there is anything I would have done differently.

What prepared you for the leadership role you are playing at POWA?

It is being the firstborn from a big family. My parents taught me to be a model to my siblings. That served as the basis for all the virtues in me— I have to be a good person generally. Apart from that, attending a military school is also a factor; because we were trained to be disciplined and leaders with integrity. While I was in school, I was also a prefect and that came with a lot of responsibilities.

Before POWA, what were you doing?

I work with an oil company, Afren Nigeria. I am the External Relations Manager. I deal with the corporate communications of the company and I am also into government relations and other relationships with all stakeholders in the industry. I still do that.

What adjustments have you made in your lifestyle?

As the wife of the number one cop in Nigeria, I am expected to be the mother of all police officers’ wives. Even though I am young, I have to adjust and be more mature and live up to expectations. A lot of times, most people I work with are probably of the same age as my father. Traditionally, there is a respectful way I am expected to relate with them but I become uncomfortable when they relate with me as if I am older than them.

Kindly share your experience as President of the Police Officers’ Wives Association.

POWA is huge. The police itself is the largest single organisation in Nigeria and POWA constitutes their wives and children. There are a lot of issues in POWA. A lot of the women are idle, we don’t have enough funds and this is important. We are trying to seek help from individuals and groups. Wives of police officers need to be empowered to support their husbands.

Are there challenges in being the head of an organisation like POWA?

POWA used to be known for building shops. We are trying to now change the mindset of people to see POWA as a sustainable organisation. This is a bit tasking due to lack of funds. We are trying to find a way of empowering women and engaging them. This is also tasking but we are trying our best. My work experience has helped a lot; this started when I worked in the construction industry in Sahara and now in oil and gas.

Have you recorded achievements as POWA president?

Under my administration, which kicked off in November 2013, we have recorded success. Apart from the school we completed and commissioned in Asaba and the multipurpose hall in Lagos, we have signed an agreement with a company for our agricultural project. This is meant to empower our women and we are contemplating a poultry farm. The products from the farm will be sold to the Police Cooperative Society.

The second project we are embarking on now is the construction of a primary school in Dei-Dei Barracks which is the largest barracks in Abuja. Currently, we are partnering with a few organisations to help us carry out some projects. We are having a fundraiser and proceeds from it will be utilised to build a youth centre in Dei-Dei Barracks. The body is also trying to organise a two-day lecture/training for selected women from each state of the federation. A lot of women don’t have the opportunity to showcase their skills and this will be an avenue for them to open up. During a visit to the barracks in Abuja with my team, the women tabled before us the need for an adult education school, more empowerment programmes, access to micro-finance and a host of challenges they are facing. Already, we have started work on these.

Are there other challenges?

Truth is, a lot of times when we hold meetings, a lot of women don’t attend because they are not very aware, especially the wives of the rank and file. But a lot of the issues boil down to funding. If these women don’t live well at home, how do you expect them to come out and support the organisation?

What are the missions and objectives of POWA?

We aim to become an effective, sustainable organisation, which actively enhances the quality of lives of women and children of the police and serve as a recognised resource for community partnerships, post-conflict rehabilitation and youth empowerment.

How do you intend to achieve these objectives?

POWA’s area of focus is hinged on the three ‘Es.’ They are: Empower, Educate and Engage. Empowerment is about creating opportunities. It is about providing support via funding, skill acquisition programmes and capacity building. It is about reducing barriers. Under ‘Educate,’ we talk about education and health. We strive to inspire and support people by promoting excellence in education through funding for the economically disadvantaged. We will constantly organise seminars to educate people on critical health matters. We will be focusing on HIV/AIDS, ante-natal care and breast cancer. Under the third ‘E’ which is ‘Engage,’ we are breaking down barriers and aim to extend programmes that will strengthen social networking and community integration to support widows and those that have been affected as a result of violence.

You sound so passionate about POWA, what other things are you passionate about?

I am passionate about whatever I do. When I set my mind to do a certain thing, then I am all out and I push it until it gets to the place where it should be.

What legacy do you plan for POWA?

Honestly, what I will love to leave behind is a changed POWA. I want to get at least 40 per cent of POWA members’ lives changed and their lives impacted one way or the other. This will make the organisation sustainable.

What is a typical day in your life?

I wake up in the morning and the first thing is to pray. Later, I ensure my husband prepares for the day and his work. My work involves both Afren and POWA. My company has been very supportive and the management has allowed me to continue working while I have time to handle POWA activities. A lot of organisations would have expected me to either resign or go on sabbatical.  But I go to work and there are times I return home late. I make sure I return before my husband because I like to prepare his meals.

How do you juggle your time between POWA and your family?

My husband is my priority, POWA also teaches that. I put him first and everything else follows.

How do you relax?

I like to watch movies. I like spending time with my husband too. We sometimes go for walks together especially during the weekends. We both come from large families and we do a bit of family visits. We pray together and we also do some sports together.

What does style mean to you and how do you like to dress?

Style is not about what is in vogue or how expensive or who the designer is. It is about what makes you look good and elegant. That is what I practise.

What are your favourite fashion accessories?

Wristwatches and bags.

What qualities do you admire in people?

Honesty. I appreciate honest people because when people are honest, other things follow naturally. I can’t stick liars.

How do you relate with your husband at home? Do you relate with him as the IG?

No, I don’t. We call each other “mien,” which means “mine” in French. He is a humorous person and he loves spending time with his family. He loves to tease me a lot.

Will you describe him as romantic?

Yes, he is very romantic.

Copyright PUNCH.

No comments:

Post a Comment